Sunday 10 November 2019

MG RX-78-2 Gundam Ver.3.0 [WIP: Leg Outer Panels & Hip Joints]

Like meat on the bones, the outer armor panels - when attached to the Leg Inner Frames - provide a significantly bulkier presence to both legs. This might seem like a natural progression of the build but the designers deserve some kudos for designing great looking shapes, combining both sharp and rounded edges, to deliver legs with oomph; legs worthy of arguably the most famous Gundam.    

Master Grade RX-78-2 Gundam Version 3.0 work-in-progress: Leg Outer Panels &  Hip Joints (isometric front view)
Master Grade RX-78-2 Gundam Version 3.0 work-in-progress: Leg Outer Panels &  Hip Joints (isometric back view)

Although I would've expected it to be the other way around, the part count of the Leg Outer Panels turned out to be actually higher than those of the Leg Inner Frames. Detailed analysis shows this was due to the larger single-piece-molded-parts on the skeletal frame (as an equivalent think femur and tibia on the human leg). Apart from some minor masking, the painting process was straightforward.   

Numerous tiny pieces of the Leg Outer Panel parts were all individually painted before assembly

Meanwhile, putting it all together was almost intuitive but not quite. I don't have the experience for that to happen yet. There was a lot of referencing to the instructions to make sure the right pieces went into the right place. But if push came to shove, say I lost the instructions, I dare say I could've figured it all out like a jigsaw puzzle if I spent enough time tackling the assembly task. Below are the series of photos showing the various parts being slowly put together one sub-assembly at a time.

Pieces of one Leg Outer Panel all painted up and decaled; awaiting assembly onto the Inner Frame (center)
First some of the outer panel pieces were pieced together prior to being attached to the Leg Inner Frame
At this stage, most of the outer panels have been attached to the inner frame except for the knee area
Only the uppermost Leg Outer Panel (white part) is left unattached together with the Hip Joint (metallic part)
RX-78-2 Gundam Right Leg: Outer Panel & Hip Joint fully attached to the Inner Frame

As is the case for the entire RX-78-2 Gundam so far, color separation of the leg outer armor panels was well thought out by the Bandai designers. I just followed their recommendations and painted the panels as intended in the instructions. What's nice to know is that one doesn't really have to follow the recommended color scheme. Because the parts are already separated based on color, one could use that as the basis to paint your own color scheme. For example, you can just replace the light brown panels with another color say pink; the light bluish grey with violet; and the white panels with red, or a different combination all together. This would result in a whole different Gundam altogether.

Color separation on the outer armor panels make the leg look less flat as a whole
Orientation of the Hip Joint means that this is the right leg of the RX-78-2 Gundam
Exposure of the innards at the back of the knee ensure the inner frame is not completely covered up
Metallic innards are most visible around the knees, especially when the leg is bent
Decals on the leg aren't numerous but enough exists to increase the realism of the whole pice
Color separation of outer panels; metallic innards; and strategically placed decals form a potent mix

On my previous post I had shown that the Leg Inner Frame could bend in on itself at a 180 degree angle. And as expected, once the outer armor panels were attached the leg could no longer bend that much. At best the thigh could only bend around 120 degrees towards the calf. But in all fairness, even this level of movement was extremely impressive considering the bulkiness of the outer armor.

As expected, the outer panels on the leg prevent it from fully bending in on itself
Freedom of movement of the leg with the outer panels attached was still very impressive
Notice how the outer panel armor on the knee opens and closes to facilitate flexibility of the joint

Now complete, both legs are part of larger Lower Body section that also comprises the Ankles/Feet and a soon to be completed Waist Unit. Below are photos of both completed legs.

Both legs of the RX-78-2 Gundam sans ankles and feet (front view)
Both legs of the RX-78-2 Gundam sans ankles and feet (inner side view)
Both legs of the RX-78-2 Gundam sans ankles and feet (back view)
Both legs of the RX-78-2 Gundam sans ankles and feet (outer side view)

For the legs to be part of the larger Lower Body it needs to connect to the Ankles/Feet via holes on the lower end and to a Waist Unit via Hip Joints on the upper end (see below).

Ankles/feet will attach to the holes (see above) at the end of both legs
Hip Joints at the other end of the legs will attach to the soon-to-be-completed Waist Unit

So all that's left of the Lower Body to be tackled is the Waist Unit. This will be the next step. Once done, the lower half of Grandpa Gundam will be ready for assembly. And as always I leave you with quote that may not be entirely relevant but it's a quote nonetheless. This week we have a quote from Lucifer Morningstar who says ... What I hate more than anything is a liar, a charlatan, someone who doesn’t believe in what they say. That's a lot of people to hate. Oh well, have a great week ahead!

https://www.facebook.com/FourEyedMonster-313145002078520/

14 comments:

  1. Looking at your pictures I realize once more why I'm no modeler at all. I'd completely hacked off with having to assemble a kit with so many pieces... let alone the fact that it's just the legs you're showing here. My hat is off to you Kuan! And of course very nice painting too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Moiterei. To be honest before I started on this project I had my doubts if I could stomach or even pull off having to paint and assemble so many tiny parts. But I've surprised myself so far. Granted I could do better. But I definitely could've done way worse and I'm glad I found a middle path so far ... hopefully I'll get better of course :)

      Delete
  2. I got dizzy only by looking at so many tiny pieces. Thinking on assembling them in the right places in the right order gives me the shivers! Seriously, I do admire your dedication and your fabulous results.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Suber :) I still don't know how I managed to convince myself to start this project in the first place XD
      I guess it's my insane need to reproduce the Grandpa Gundam after seeing him in action in the movie "Ready Player One".

      Delete
  3. I'm amazed by the work here, both yours of course ad the designers' ^^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you A-man ... the designers are the true artists here ... I see myself as just a "renderer" in this project ... sort of the "artist" who painted by numbers! ^_^

      Delete
  4. A fantastic result already, I look forward to see the fully assembled model.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Wouter! It's nearing completion now. Hopefully I can pick the pace by getting of my lazy arse and getting some hobby work done. I've been enjoying some PC gaming of late and neglecting the hobby.

      Delete
  5. Looking good. It is steadily getting there piece by piece.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep ... slow and steady hopefully wins the race ... well, at least let me finish it ^_^

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...