Saturday 19 March 2022

Quick Update: Restoration of Girl's Rider Denim Jeans

 Tempted as I was to strip the Girl's Rider miniature figurine's denim jeans down to its primer coat and begin painting from scratch, I felt it was too drastic a step to take. I couldn't bring myself to just write-off the untarnished areas of the denim texture, which had taken hours to paint. So I set out to salvage what I could, and repaint what I couldn't. At the risk of sounding like an egotist looking through rose-tinted glasses, I thought the denim jeans restoration turned out quite well; better than expected at least. Results can be seen in the photos below, so do let me know if you agree with me, or not.    


1/12 scale miniature figurine Girl's Rider denim jeans restoration work (front view)

 Key to the whole heartache in the first place was the application of a water-based matt coating agent i.e. the Mr.Hobby Mr.Premium Top Coat Flat on the denim jeans. As such the logical question to ask is whether my attempt to matt the denim texture was worth it. In short, the answer is yes! It would've been clearer to compare before and after matting photos, but this being just a quick update meant I left them out. Pinky swear I'll add the before/after shots and upload them once I finish work on the leather. And there's actually more work to do on the leather accessories now as I'll explain later.      


1/12 scale miniature figurine Girl's Rider denim jeans restoration work (back view)

 To refresh your memory on how bad the denim jeans was previously, below are some before and after restoration photos that I did manage to upload. It was easier for me to fix the front compared with the back of the jeans, simply because the buttocks area was more severely damaged. 


Girl's Rider denim jeans, front view: after restoration (above), before restoration (below)

Girl's Rider denim jeans, back view: after restoration (above), before restoration (below)

 There were some spillover damage to the leather accessories. But because fixing the denim texture took a lot out of me, there wasn't anything left in the tank to extend restorative work to the leather boots and belt as well. It's not all bad though as I have yet to actually complete work on the leather, so you could say the damage occurred when about 80% of the work have been completed, not 100%. I guess that's one way of seeing the glass as half full, not empty. 

 Once I complete work on the leather accessories, I will upload photos of the results together with the before/after matting effects on the denim jeans. This I'll do concurrently with two other revived projects i.e. the Star Wars Speeder Bike and Space Battleship Yamato 2199 Cosmo Reverse Version. So in the coming weeks I'll be uploading posts about these three projects. For a quick update I've rambled on for too long now. So I shall stop and bid you, as always, to stay safe and be well.    


https://www.facebook.com/FourEyedMonster-313145002078520/

6 comments:

  1. Not only it was brave of you, but the result is perfect. Phew! It should encourage you to keep on, you can overcome anything!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so very much Suber! Your words are encouraging and appreciated :)

      Delete
  2. Yay, it is quite a relief that you were able to salvage that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was indeed :) A huge relief that I, at the very least, did not make it worse!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...