Thursday 22 July 2021

Knight Models Marvel Universe Loki [Unboxing & Pre-Assembly Review] ... The Beginnings of a Loki Variant

 In a seemingly interminable period of endless dawdling, I had continually procrastinated on my Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU) projects with the excuse that the miniatures in my collection did not closely resemble their movie counterparts either in features or attire. However, this feeble excuse for sitting on my MCU projects no longer holds true in more ways than one (see what I did there) with the introduction of Loki Variants into MCU Phase 3 & 4. With so many versions of Loki in existence, the Knight Models metal figurine in my collection can now lay claim to being one of them.     


Loki Variants as seen in Marvel's Mighty Thor - Issue No.3 (2015)

 So at risk of sounding like a broken record, I dusted off yet another keep-in-view project based on yet another flavor-of-the-month-inspiration. Such miniature figurines inevitably end up as to-be-revived-later-after-inspiration-wanes projects, although I've a good feeling that the Loki figurine is a keeper. It seems well suited to airbrushing which has become my go-to painting technique of choice. Of course, when it comes to figurines, it is almost impossible to paint everything via airbrush. The old paintbrush-by-hand method is still very much an integral part of the figurine painting process.


Knight Models Marvel Universe 1/28 scale figurines - Loki

Loki unboxed - a look inside the Knight Models figurine model kit

 A look inside shows that the Knight Models Loki miniature kit comprises parts made from two types of material i.e. metal for the figurines itself and resin for the base on which the figurine rests (see below). Based on experience, I will likely have to use putty to fill in joint gaps, and even mold the putty to mimic the surface texture of the missing gaps. While quite a challenge for novice modelers, Loki should be breeze for those of you with a fair number of projects under your belt.   



 While Loki Variants have existed in Marvel comics long before their introduction into the MCU, I still didn't quite make that mental-connection with my miniature projects. I guess I was too hung up on ensuring accuracy and likeness of the said miniatures with their movie equivalents in the MCU. It took the latest Marvel Studio made-for-TV-show, namely Loki, to break me out of an impediment I had created of myself. With the many Loki variants (see below for the show's versions) found in the MCU Phase 3 & 4, it was no longer an issue that the miniature looked nothing like Tom Hiddleston's onscreen character. Any Loki miniature can be a variant, and that's cool enough for me.     


Marvel Studios Loki (Season One) as seen in Disney+

From left, Boastful Loki, Kid Loki (holding Alligator Loki) and Classic Loki

President Loki (in the center surrounded by a multitude of other Loki variants)

Sylvie, a female Loki variant that was inspired by two characters i.e. Lady Loki and Enchantress

 You might be curious enough to wonder though, which variant does the Knight Model figurine actually represent. My opinion is that the figurine is nothing more than just a generic old-school representation of Loki, the God of Mischief. But if I had to choose, my guess would be that the figurine most closely resembles a variant known as King Loki (see illustrations below), which is described as one of the oldest and most evil incarnation of Loki. Cool. That just ramps up the inspiration level. 



 Loki is certainly fast becoming my favourite Marvel character, all thanks in large part to Tom Hiddleston's portrayal of the God of Mischief. This now has been enhanced by the brilliant performance of Sophia Di Martino and Richard E. Grant as Loki variants Sylvie and Classic Loki respectively. It's fitting I end this blog with a quote from the show ... I am Loki of Asgard, and I am burdened with glorious purpose. Meanwhile back here in Midgard, my glorious purpose is to stay safe. Hope you and yours are too ... safe. 


https://www.facebook.com/FourEyedMonster-313145002078520/

2 comments:

  1. Ah, looking awesome! My favourite Marvel and Norse Mythology character!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine too, Loki is genuinely flawed like the rest of us :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...