Thursday 31 December 2020

Here's to Broken Resolutions and a Better New Year

 So as this awful year draws to a close, it's unsurprising that a resolution made as recently as three weeks ago has been unceremoniously broken. I had wanted to get psyched up for future World War 2 Armored Fighting Vehicle (WW2 AFV) scale model kit projects by indulging in digital turn-based wargames via my traditional year-end PC gaming binge. Well, I still pampered myself with some gaming time but with old school Japanese role-playing games (JRPGs) instead. The silver lining to this is there's still a link, however tenuous, to the hobby in the form of colors. Here's what I mean ... 



 Arguably, there is no better example of fantastic use of colors in an old school JRPG than The Legend of Heroes - Trails in the Sky by Japan-based Nihon Falcom. At the very least, it was one of the first ones I played which made good use of color combinations on its pixelated characters as well as world. I never finished my original run in my (PlayStation Portable (PSP) before it kaput. Luckily for me, a PC version was released some years ago on my go-to gaming portal i.e. Steam. So now I get to relive the world of Zemuria in glorious high-definition (HD), colors and all. 


Nihon Falcom's The Legend of Heroes - Trails in the Sky

In this make believe world, even the floors have delightful color combos ...

... well, not all floors but the game, more often than not, makes great use of colors

Turn-based combat is a key element in most if not all JRPGs

 One of my most treasured memories of JRPGs was (and still is) Final Fantasy Tactics on the very first PlayStation and subsequently Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of the Lions on the PSP. Both titles are sort of a sub-genre of your traditional JRPGs and is classified as tactical role-playing game (TRPG). Such games focus more on the tactical combat aspect than in the role-playing per se. So it was a nice surprise when I stumbled upon Banner Maid which was developed by China-based Azure Flame Studio. This is the closest I have come to in years, in terms of TRPG game-play in a JRPG inspired title. What's even better is the title makes fantastic use of colors (see below).  


Azure Flame Studio's Banner Maid

Apart from the protagonist (which isn't shown here) most of the female characters ...

... found within an alternate world of historical France are fairly voluptuous

Banner Maid is largely a tactical role-playing game ...

... that takes inspiration from the classic Final Fantasy Tactics

The game makes great use of colors for both its 2D anime as well as 3D pixel characters

 Meanwhile, Octopath Traveler is a more recent JRPG title that uses retro character sprites whilst also incorporating polygonal environments and high-definition special effects. If you haven't played old school JRPGs before, then it's quite likely Octopath Traveler would be your first experience of what it's like to role-play chibi-style character sprites in a make believe world. Barely having started a game on this title, I am already impressed with its use of colors. My first impressions are that each character's game world seems to have a color theme of their own. For example, the character Primrose uses warm and earthy hues to reflect her bio and backstory (see below). That's a great way to think of colors and I'm sure it'll translate into future creative endeavors in the hobby.   


Acquire/Square Enix's Octopath Traveler

Primrose is one of eight main characters you can play ingame

And so it begins, Primrose's journey in the land of Orsterra

Octopath Traveler is a role-playing game with "HD-2D" graphics ...

... a style that combines retro-character sprites and textures ...

... with polygonal environments and high-definition effects

 And so the year ends with a broken resolution. Moreover, you would agree it has been a terrible year with the ongoing pandemic. It can only get better, right? So with the new year upon us, I would like to take this opportunity to wish one and all a safe and happy 2021. Cheers!


https://shireworks.blogspot.com/https://www.facebook.com/shire.works

https://www.facebook.com/FourEyedMonster-313145002078520/

8 comments:

  1. Hi Kuan ! First of all I wish you and your loved ones a very Happy New Year !
    Second , we all give to much meaning to our goals of the new year. They become a limitation instead of a motivation.
    Third , nice looking games. I've played more games as well lately (mostly Monster Super League ). Just enjoy them ! Life's too short...
    Stay safe ! Greetings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mario. My best wishes again to you and your family. Your are right of course. It's a self-imposed limiting factor that stifles both motivation and creativity. I definitely am enjoying myself with some PC gaming of late and make no excuses for them :)

      Delete
  2. Hi my Dear FeM ^^

    I can see that you're enjoying yourself a lot with videogames ^^

    I wish you and your family a great happy new year and - most important - with perfect health and without any trouble !! ^^

    Serviteur,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The same to you too Morikun ... here's to a safe and trouble-free 2021 to you and your family ^_^

      Delete
  3. Hello! Have a great 2021! Best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, my! I cannot afford to be lured into this kind of games, but they look really wonderful!
    I hope you (and all of yours) have the best 2021 possible!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same to you and yours Suber! ^_^ Have a great (and more importantly safe) 2021 :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...