Sunday 29 December 2019

MG RX-78-2 Gundam Ver.3.0 [WIP: Hyper Bazooka]

With the holiday season in full swing, my hobby activities seem to have come to full stop. Inertia has set in but not in a bad way as I find myself enjoying other hobbies instead such as PC gaming and watching the English Premier League's insane schedule of football fixtures over the festive period. Thankfully I still had some photos of previously completed steps to upload and write about, although such backup hobby content is rapidly dwindling as I remain inactive for the third straight week. Well enough with the negatives; here then is the RX-78-2 Gundam Hyper Bazooka in all its glory.  

Master Grade RX-78-2 Gundam Version 3.0 Work-in-Progress: Hyper Bazooka
RX-78-2 Gundam Hyper Bazooka (angled, rear view)

As has been the case for the RX-78-2 Gundam's previous weapon (i.e. the Beam Rifle), the color scheme for the Hyper Bazooka is fairly boring but functional. It looks good enough in dark greys, whites and a thin ring of red at the muzzle. Add in the parts which I decided to paint in metallic silver and gun metal as well as the strategically placed sticker decals, and the Hyper Bazooka actually takes on a pretty cool look. One nice thing about having the weapon come in a myriad of different parts was that I could paint them separately without having to mask anything (see below).

Parts of the Hyper Bazooka: painted; before assembly and before decal application

Assembly of the Hyper Bazooka was straightforward and easy. Thanks to Bandai's brilliant design, all the parts snap-fitted securely into place without the need for glue at all. That's a great attribute for a model kit to have, especially for a modeler like me who always paints the individual parts before assembly. As you should well know, glue and painted parts are not a good combination. 

Start of assembly process: painted and decaled pieces of the Hyper Bazooka all laid out
Most of the Hyper Bazooka's sub-assemblies are completed at this stage apart from the barrel
Hyper Bazooka's barrel is attached to the trigger sub-assembly; while rear sub-assembly is done
Hyper Bazooka of the RX-78-2 Gundam, fully assembled, painted and decaled

Simple as it is, the design of the Hyper Bazooka looks really cool to me. The ratio of rounded edges versus sharp edges leans more towards the former, a design style which I personally prefer. However, as much as I like the aesthetics of this weapon, I'm still not completely sold on it. At least until I see how it 'performs' with the RX-78-2 Gundam e.g. can it be attached to the hand easily and securely.

Hyper Bazooka of the RX-78-2 Gundam (side view, from the right)
Hyper Bazooka of the RX-78-2 Gundam (side view, from the left)

In terms of size, the Hyper Bazooka seems to be more than twice as big as the Beam Rifle, if not more. Meanwhile, the greys on the Hyper Bazooka comprised a lighter mix then the ones found on the Beam Rifle. Having learned from my mistake with the Beam Rifle, I added more light grey to the overall paint mix in order to get a much lighter dark grey, one that I was finally happy with.

Size comparison between the Hyper Bazooka (top) and the Beam Rifle (bottom)
Hyper Bazooka is roughly twice in overall size compared with the Beam Rifle

So the year is at an end or near to the end anyway. I don't know if it's just me but as the years roll by it seems harder and harder to find the time to hobby in. All this could just be psychological as time always seems to fly by faster as one gets older. To add insult to injury, I seem to be adding more scale model kits to the to-do pile rather removing them from the completed pile. As such, in the spirit of the coming new year I hereby declare that I will finish more projects in 2020. And as I remove my tongue-in-cheek, I leave you with yet another quote from the Rick and Morty animated series ... Break the cycle Morty. Rise Above.Focus on science, said Rick Sanchez to grandson Morty Smith.  

https://www.facebook.com/FourEyedMonster-313145002078520/

12 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. It's not actually a review but thanks for taking the time to comment.

      Delete
  2. Now that thing is huge! Really sets the whole build in perspective.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I've always felt that showing any project in scale as compared to or with an everyday object (in this case my gloved fingers) is essential to any efforts in showcasing the kit.

      Delete
  3. Fantastic work Kuan ! Your Gundam will look awesome , when fully weaponized ! It looks awesome even without weapons ! Masterpiece !
    Greetings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the vote of confidence Mario. Truly appreciate it. And I do hope you are right.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. A bit over the top I grant you but it looks kinda cool. :)

      Delete
  5. I cannot but repeat the comment from my previous post :D
    I love the dedication and attention to detail.
    Happy new year and all the best for 2020!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy New Year to you too Suber and thanks so much for taking the time to post feedback on my blog. Have a great 2020! ^_^

      Delete
  6. Looks marvelous but stop teasing and show us the finished model already 😉.
    Happy new year mate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ^_^ actually I'm so sorry Wouter ... never meant to tease this project out slowly though it does seem that way I must admit :) I'm kinda milking the posts for all it's worth as I've been too stressed for time to work on other projects apart from this one. lol :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...