Saturday 7 December 2019

MG RX-78-2 Gundam Ver.3.0 [WIP: Amuro Ray in a Pilot Suit at 1/100 scale & Teaser Shots of Grandpa Gundam]

Whatever the build, whatever the scale, a model kit only ever comes alive when there is a human figurine at the same scale that can be displayed next to it. That's my personal theory anyway. I felt that all the hard work that went into the 1/100 scale RX-78-2 Gundam would've gone to waste if I didn't also paint up the similarly sized Amuro Ray figurine. For non-fans, Amuro is the protagonist of the first ever Mobile Suit Gundam anime series. As such below is the 1/100 scale Amuro Ray and some teaser shots of Grandpa Gundam himself (full photos will be uploaded at a later date).

Master Grade RX-78-2 Gundam Version 3.0 Work-in-Progress: 1/100 scale Amuro Ray in a pilot suit
Trying to balance himself on RX-78-2's hand, Amuro Ray grabs onto one of its fingers for dear life 
As the camera pulls back from Amuro, we get a long shot view of Grandpa Gundam from the waist up

To give you a idea of how small this figurine is, I took some photos with it next to a five sen coin as well as a regular paperclip (see below). With my old man eyes, this is the best I can manage these days. I suppose if I really tried I could do better but it would take too much time to be worth it.

First scale comparison: 1/100 Amuro Ray against a five sen coin
First scale comparison: 1/100 Amuro Ray against a paperclip
Closeup front view of the 1/100 scale Amuro Ray in a pilot suit
Closeup back view of the 1/100 scale Amuro Ray in a pilot suit

There was another Amuro Ray figurine that I completed and wrote about in the previous post. Back then, I didn't have time to assemble him and take photos. Well I've finished inserting the Body Core into the RX-78-2 Gundam's torso and took some closeup shots of the seated version of Amuro. If you look closely at the photos below, especially at the midriff section, you should be able to spot an open hatch exposing the seated pilot inside. This is yet another way a modeler can show the scale of the Gundam in comparison to a human being. If you recall, there is actually one other Amuro figurine that I painted (for a total of three), namely a version that was placed inside the Core Fighter.

Torso of the RX-78-2 Gundam opens up to reveal a seated version of Amuro Ray
Closeup view of the seated version of Amuro Ray, located inside the midriff section of the RX-78-2 Gundam

At first I had planned to upload photos of the RX-78-2 Gundam before I finished work on its weapons. Well, I've changed my mind. Instead I intend to finish its weapons first - Beam Rifle, Beam Sabre, Shield and Hyper Bazooka - before taking the final shots of the RX-78-2 in various poses. Doing it the way I had originally planned would've been anti-climatic. That I even showed any shots at all of the Grandpa Gundam in this post was because they were needed to show scale comparison of the figurine. But these are only teaser shots. The full monty will be presented in all their glory once the weapons are done. With that, another weekend comes to a close and I bid you au revoir.   

https://www.facebook.com/FourEyedMonster-313145002078520/

17 comments:

  1. That's a great final touch. I'm ready to see the model in all its glory now 😁.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A bout of severe flu means I can't get the final photos up before the year ends now :( but hopefully by the first or second week of 2020 :)

      Delete
  2. Awesome Kuan ! That Gundam is a masterpiece ! Amazing work !
    Greetings

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. I was happy Bandai included a standing figure. Without it the Gundam would've been so much less.

      Delete
  4. Jaw dropping. My goodness, it's fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh man, really looking forward to the conclusion of this project. The Gundam looks amazing so far, and you are right, that scale shot of Amuro really drives it home how big it is in universe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you ^_^ ... I was really glad Bandai included that standing figurine, small as it was.

      Delete
  6. Lovely job on him!

    Cheers
    Matt
    French Wargame Holidays

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...