Thursday 17 May 2018

HQ12-02 Race Queen [WIP - Prep, Pinning & Priming]

HQ12-02 Race Queen aka the 1/12 scale resin figurine from atelier iT will have the dubious honor of being my first miniature figurine project to involve considerable use of an airbrush. As is always the case, before the Race Queen receives any paint she first has to undergo preparatory steps. What's different this time is the effort that went into the prep work. Usually all it took was just a quick wash of the resin miniature followed by removal of mould lines and ending with a coat of primer. Now however, I believe changes to the work flow are needed if I'm going to improve on final results.  

1/12 scale atelier iT Race Queen work-in-progress: final primer coat
First primer coat highlighted areas that still needed prep work

Changes to my work flow actually translated into the addition of two major steps to the preparatory process. Firstly to strengthen the bond between joints of separate parts, a 'resin pinning' step was put in. As can be seen in the immediate photos below, resin pinning essentially involves drilling holes into the parts to be attached and inserting a brass rod to strengthen the connection. This step becomes more essential the bigger the scale of the miniature figurine you're working with.

Pinning Step 01: drill holes into the center of the joints
Pinning Step 02: Insert brass tubes into the holes and cut them down to size
Pinning Step 03: Matching holes are drilled into leg parts that will be attached to the torso
Pinning allows the legs to be attached more securely to the torso
A misalignment caused the drill to pierce through the resin; seen here patched with green putty
Resin parts after the pinning process; seen here before the brass rods were cut down to size

In the other deviation from my usual practice, I undertook the mould line removal process twice. The first time the mould line was removed was before the initial primer coat while the second time occurred right after the initial primer coat. For this to work, the initial primer coat was applied lightly to highlight mould lines and other imperfections (e.g. holes in the resin miniature) I might've missed. After these issues had been fixed, the second and final primer coat was then applied.

First primer coating highlight areas which need further prep work such as the mould line above 
After sanding down the mould line, a second coat of primer was applied in preparation for painting

So the Race Queen is now fully primed, and ready to receive her first coat of paint. I plan to start with her skin tone using lacquer paints. And depending on the level of highlights, mid-tones and shadows I can achieve with an airbrush, her skin tone may or may not need additional work. If it does then there are three non-acrylic routes I can take namely oil paints, enamel paints or pastel shading. Why non-acrylic? Well it's because I don;t intend to use the same old same old techniques for painting flesh. I'm after the one which produces the most realistic skin effects and that requires experimentation.  

Front view of the Race Queen's torso, head and legs after the final primer coat
Back view of the Race Queen's torso, head and legs after the final primer coat
Both arms after the additional prep work and the final primer coat
View of both the Race Queen's arms from a slightly different angle

As with every project involving the first time use of a particular technique, there is every chance final results are going to be less than optimal. To minimize this, I'll be layering skin tone shadows, mid-tones and highlights onto some plastic spoons to get the hang of working with lacquer paints and an airbrush. Of course this is far from an ideal way to practice airbrushing lacquer paints due to the differences between the contours of a simple spoon versus the human body. However it's the most cost effective method of practicing I can think of. And it'll have to do. For now.

https://www.facebook.com/FourEyedMonster-313145002078520/

21 comments:

  1. Great looking model ! I'm looking forward to see her painted !
    Greetings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes she is a beautiful sculpt and I can't wait to start painting her ... although I'm also equally hesitant to start as I'm scared I will mess up.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. I think so too as I'm a fan of her sculptor's work.

      Delete
  3. The idea of double priming to find more mold lines and imperfections is a great one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thinking about your post this weekend, and it occurred to me that you might want to try using something like a drinking straw or similar for your skin tests. The round surface might be more like a limb than the spoon.

      Delete
    2. Now there's a thought. Thanks for the input. :) The spoons I plan on using have some nooks and crannies to them that I suppose - push comes to shove - can faintly resemble indentations of a human joint. So I guess I give those a go first.

      Delete
  4. Looking forward to seeing what you do with this one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just back from holidays and I find you busy prepping the next awesome project.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pretty clever trick! I'm already eager to see this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I'm eager to start working on her BUT at the same time terrified I will fail miserably.

      Delete
  7. Good luck with the airbrush experimentation. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks ... I will need every bit of luck I can get. :)

      Delete
  8. This one looks like she's going to be a challenge. Good luck with the airbrush and getting the skintone right!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She sure is. Thank you for the good luck wishes as I sure am going to need them. :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...