Sunday 13 February 2022

First scale model kits bought in nearly a year

 If there is one thing the pandemic has taught me, well not so much taught as giving me a timely reminder that most miniature painters and scale modellers - yours truly included - have way more kits than time in which to complete them. Add economic concerns during the pandemic, and it was easy for me to take a step back from the acquisition side of the hobby to stay focused on working with what I already possess. But temptation to add to my collection has never truly left me. So with nearly a year into my self-imposed abstention, my will wavered and three scale model kits were acquired.      


My first new model kits in nearly a year - all of them are 1/24 scale Tamiya car kits

 One factor contributing to the new purchases was the 10% sale my local hobby store was offering. While it wasn't much, every little bit off helps in this wallet straining pandemic era. As you can see by now, the scale model car kits that caught my eye were Tamiya 1/24 scale versions of the Subaru BRZ, the Ford GT, and the Subaru Impreza used at the WRC (World Rally Championship) Rallye Monte Carlo 2005. You may have also noticed the trio of Tamiya scale model kits are in an iconic metallic blue. In fact, Tamiya recommends the LP-41 Mica Blue lacquer paint, which is a vibrant and deep shade of metallic blue. As luck would have it, I can't find any local hobby store with this color in stock. So none of the cars can be worked on anytime soon unless I find an alternative!  


Side box art showcasing all three Tamiya scale model kits namely ...

 For me, what makes a car brand attractive is that it has to have either a Rally, Formula One, and/or Endurance racing heritage. And of all of them, I feel that rallying is the most relatable motorsport seeing that rally cars are road legal cars based on mass production models affordable to the mass market. As such, it should be no surprise my all-time favorite cars are the Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution and the Subaru Impreza WRX STI, of which the former is sadly no longer in production. In real-life I drive a rebadged Mitsubishi Lancer (rebadged due to the country's car industry being protected from imports). And after more than 10 years, the family is contemplating getting a new car - specifically a subcompact crossover called the Subaru XV, which is technically a lifted Impreza hatchback. Like my cars, I tend to see people based on substance rather than style!   


... (from top to bottom) the Subaru BRZ, Ford GT, and Subaru Impreza WRC 2005

 First up in my latest scale model kit acquisition is the second generation Subaru BRZ coupe. It's powered by a 2.4-liter four-cylinder boxer engine that generates roughly 228 horsepower and a top speed of about 226 km/h. As Subaru's first rear-wheel drive sports car, the BRZ is a unique vehicle in Subaru's otherwise all-wheel-drive lineup that the Japanese company is famous for.   


Tamiya 1/24 scale Subaru BRZ (ZD8) car model kit

 Then there is the Ford GT, whose name is derived from the legendary Ford GT40. The latter is none other than the victor in a titanic battle between Ford and Ferrari during the 1966 24-hours of Le Mans. Based around a carbon fiber monocoque, the Ford GT can achieve a top speed of about 347 km/h on the back of its 647 horsepower 3.5-liter V6 engine. It's a supercar though, not a mass market one.


Tamiya 1/24 scale Ford GT car model kit

 Last but not least is yet another car from Subaru, this time it's a traditional all-wheel drive vehicle the company is more famous for. Fun Fact: the only other car company to use a boxer engine in this day and age is Porsche. Powered by a flat four-cylinder turbocharged 2-liter boxer engine, the Subaru Impreza WRC 2005 can achieve speeds of up to 257 km/h and generate up to 300 horsepower. It was the rally car driven by Petter Solberg in the Rallye Automobile de Monte-Carlo 2005.


Tamiya 1/24 scale Subaru Impreza WRC Monte Carlo 2005 car model kit

 All these vehicles will be build up and painted in the future either for my own collection (aka display pieces to promote commission work), or be put up for sale as fully completed projects. At the moment, I'm unable to source the iconic metallic blue lacquer paint from nearby local hobby shops. So what I'm going to do is try out automotive spray paints instead. If I can get my hands on these alternative paints then I'll be sure test them out and let you know the results in an upcoming post. On that note, I shall leave you with the words of James May ... peace and love, brothers and sisters!


https://www.facebook.com/FourEyedMonster-313145002078520/

10 comments:

  1. Nice model you acquired Kuan ! Looking forward to see these finished !
    Greetings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mario. I'm certainly looking forward to more car projects once I get my VW Beetle over the finishing line.

      Delete
  2. Great and Subaru Impreza is one of my favourite car :-))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most petrolheads will have either the Subaru Impreza or the Mitsubishi Lancer as one of their all-time favorites :)

      Delete
  3. Haha, it's so good to read you speaking so passionately about these models :)
    Nice purchases. Though I get we'll have to wait until we see some progress on these, I'm looking forward to it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heh heh ... it's great to feel this passion but dangerous too as more model kits could be added to the mountain pile of unassembled kits :)

      Delete
  4. I agree about rally and other forms of race using regular cars...much more impressive. I drove a Lancer for many years, it was a good car. The Subaru XVs are good and very popular in Australia. My wife has a Subaru Outback.

    Anyway I look forward to seeing the kits finished in due course!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Subarus aren't that popular here in Malaysia. Back here everyone that isn't forced by high taxes to get the national car is either into Hondas or Toyotas. While I think the new Civic looks really mature and sporty, I would prefer an all-wheel drive if I had a choice. The new Subaru Forester looks very good but it isn't available in Malaysia yet though. As for the kits, I'll need to get my VW Beetle over the finishing line first before I start on these new kits. But that won't stop me doing some experimenting on autopaints/primers and how they react to plastic :)

      Delete
  5. Quite a nice haul! A more than reasonable recompense for a year of abstinence I‘d say :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :) I still feel very guilty though. I know I should work more on what I have than get new ones but a year was about as long as I could manage without getting tempted into adding "just a few more" into the pile. :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...