Sunday 26 April 2020

HQ12-02 Race Queen; atelier iT 1/12 scale resin figurine [Completed]

It has been a somewhat convoluted journey for the Race Queen, a 1/12 scale resin figurine from Japan-based atelier iT. I had actually finished painting and assembling her late last year but scarcity of hobby time meant I couldn't take any photos of the fully painted Race Queen. However, an extended stay-at-home period has allowed me to do so and post them here. Videos of her weren't included because I'm still getting to grips with the VEGAS Pro 15 software that I bought to improve my video editing options. As such a video representation of the Race Queen will be uploaded later.  

1/12 scale resin figurine by atelier iT - HQ12-02 Race Queen [Completed]

Also just a quick heads up before you proceed further into this blog. By now, you would've noticed  that a majority of the photos you see here were taken against a black background. This was done consciously in order to see if details of the black hair could stand out against a dark background. As a comparison, photos of the Race Queen were also taken against a lighter azure background (see series of photos in the last third of this blog post). Lighting conditions were kept similar for both. 

Closeup view of the atelier iT 1/12 scale Race Queen figurine against a black background
As an artistic representation of a Japanese Race Queen, I painted her in a black hair and fair skin combo
Meanwhile, her racing outfit was painted in soft pastel hues of the 2016 Pantone Color of the Year
Front closeup view of the fully painted atelier iT 1/12 scale Race Queen figurine

From the outset I had realized there was an inherent risk in painting a figurine with a combination of black hair and fair skin. This contrast in tint/shade tends to result in an optical illusion in which the skin then looks too fair and the hair too dark. Perhaps a better choice would've been brown hair and a more tanned skint tone. But I'm fairly happy with how she turned out. Of course she could've been painted better. Each figurine I complete is a step towards a realistic life-like paint job, a goal that is the holy grail in this miniature and scale model kit painting hobby of mine.

This lovely resin figurine was sculpted by Hiroki Hayashi of atelier iT
While her skin tone was airbrushed, the rest was completed by hand painting
In the closeup views thus far, the Race Queen's shots were cut off at her knees

Because I had not done a good job at the prep stage - a recurring failure of mine that continues to haunt the impatient painter in me - there were areas that I could not lay on smooth layers of paint. Can you guess where by looking at the photos here? From afar it's not too obvious. But if you look closely enough at her hands you can just about make out mold lines along her fingers. It's an easily rectifiable flaw that rears its ugly head due to my over eagerness to rush the project workflow. 

For a zoomed out view, I pulled the camera out until the shot encompassed her from head to toe
Zoomed out side profile (from the left) of the fully painted atelier iT 1/12 scale Race Queen figurine
In this case, the Race Queen's high heels are a perfect accompaniment to her attire ...
... and color-wise her shoe's were coordinated with that of her clothes for a uniform look 
Zoomed out back view of the fully painted atelier iT 1/12 scale Race Queen figurine
Even from behind, the Race Queen's pose is excellent; so much sculpted detail that's taken for granted in real life

For the moment, the Race Queen remains as a figurine painted to accompany the Scout Trooper and his Speeder Bike. Both are after all of the same 1/12 scale. Logically speaking the Race Queen would be much better suited paired with a 1/12 scale Race Car. However, I don't have any cars at this scale to pair her with. Anyway, the Speeder Bike is technically a bike build for speed so the Race Queen will still fit in well in a vignette featuring the Star Wars character and vehicle.

Zoomed out side profile (from the right) of the fully painted atelier iT 1/12 scale Race Queen figurine
Part of the reason I used a black background is to see how well the details on her black hair can be seen ...
... against a dark background, that is to see if the subtle contrast is visible in extreme conditions ... it is
Zoomed out front view of the fully painted atelier iT 1/12 scale Race Queen figurine
Adopting a traditional car show pose, the Race Queen can seamlessly slot into any 1/12 scale vehicle diorama
Another positive of the pose is that it accentuates the Race Queen's curves; in other words a proper modelling pose

To show how hues may subtly shift when placed against a different background color, I also took a series of photos of the Race Queen against a lighter azure background. I had tried to keep lighting conditions similar throughout the photo shoot. Assuming I had succeeded in doing so, the overall colors of the Race Queen seemed warmer when compared to photos taken of her against a black background. Now I do not discount the possibility that I had not kept lighting conditions as constant as I assumed because the photos were taken so long ago that I have forgotten all the details of the photo/video shoot. At the very least, I'm pretty sure camera settings were unchanged for both.

Against an azure background, the Race Queen's overall colors underwent a subtle hue shift
With lighting conditions largely similar throughout the shoot ... 
... the Race Queen's colors looked warmer versus against a black background

One key takeaway from this project was the fact that realistic skin tones can be achieved using an airbrush. While I'm still not fully satisfied with how her skin tone turned out, it's still one of the best results I've ever achieved when painting skin. It's my first time painting skin using an airbrush and lacquer paints. My previous forays have been with the traditional hand brush and acrylic paints. Airbrushing allows for extremely smooth transitions between hues. And when this is combined with the right skin color combo, the skin tone will tend to closely approximate skin as it's seen in real life.

Against the lighter background, the Race Queen was posed on a rotating display base ...
... with a series of photos taken at key posing points as she rotated 360 degrees
Details on the Race Queen's black hair seems harder to make out against a light background

Incidentally, this series of photos with an azure background was still shots taken of the Race Queen while she was rotating on a battery operated Lazy Susan display. This is the same rotating display that I usually use when taking videos of fully painted miniatures that I have completed.

Back view of the fully painted Race Queen figurine, posed against an azure background
A key takeaway from the Race Queen project was that airbrushed skin tones can look ultra realistic ...
... and this means the airbrush is now going to be my new best friend when painting skin tones

My quest for near-perfection in the painting of realistic miniature figurines is far from complete. There were so many things I could've done better starting from the Race Queen's hair, eyes, all the way down to her high heels. Ways to improve seem endless. And as I wallow in the pseudo-misery of  my own creation i.e. a never ending quest for a near-perfect figurine paint job, I will leave you with yet another quote from one of my favorite characters in the TV show Community, a certain Abed Nadir ... "You can do whatever you want, you just have to know what that is."

https://shireworks.blogspot.com/https://www.facebook.com/shire.works

https://www.facebook.com/FourEyedMonster-313145002078520/

8 comments:

  1. Masterpiece ! Very realistic style !
    Perfection or near perfection is not achievable Kuan (if you're honest). And what is perfect to you isn't perfect for other people. So what is perfect? An illusion... We can only try our best and be happy with the talents we have been given & the things we can achieve with them.
    But you have nothing to worry... You're piece looks awesome and very realistic !
    Greetings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are absolutely right of course, Mario. Art style preferences means someone's masterpiece is another person's "what in the hell was the artist thinking" moment :) And to to add to that, as you said, perfection is impossible but striving for it makes us better I guess. As always thank you so much for your positive feedback. Truly appreciated! ^_^

      Delete
  2. It's really interesting how the background affects the way we perceive the model. Honestly, any tiny piece of your work is incredibly far from our puny attempts, you can be absolutely happy with your work. I've been following your blog for years and I can really see an evolution as an artist, which I find exciting and great :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's such a lovely thing for you to say Suber. Thank you so very much! I guess the fact that when I look back at my early work and cringe embarrassingly must certainly mean I am imporving lol XD :)

      Delete
  3. I guess the tiny imperfections might be immediately visible in real life, but on a photograph they're a lot harder to spot.
    Your work has been exemplary and you can be proud of what you achieved.
    Love what you did with the background lighting, an interesting experiment that I'm going to try out myself as well. A lot of the time my colours turn out different from real life and having a different background colour might do the trick.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Wouter. You kind, supportive comments are most appreciated. :) But do bear in mind that the lighting issue could be just my own errors. My DSLR sometimes act up and causes some discrepancies in warmness of the photos. But I am pretty sure the background does affect the hues in some ways.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...