Wednesday 23 July 2014

Knight Models Spider-Man [WIP - NYC Chequered Taxi]

With most of my free time spent helping out my son with revision work for his mid-terms, I have barely had any time to myself to indulge in painting miniatures. During the snippets of hobby time that I managed to partake in, I did nonetheless manage to complete the base for the 1/28th scale Knight Models Spider-Man miniature, which is a 1960's New York City chequered yellow taxi.

Knight Models Spider-Man base - New York City taxi with a 1960's design
A miniature version of the yellow taxi that I had based my colour scheme on

That I managed any progress at all for the taxi was helped by the fact I had a sudden inspiration on what colours to use for the windshield and side-door windows. Painting them in shades of grey would have been a yawn-fest and I was at first stumped on what colours to use. Then I had a vivid childhood flashback of a case of empty soda bottles that had this bluish-green hue to them. With that little bit of random memory dredged up from the depths of my mind, I could finally finish painting the base and can now proceed with the latest subject matter of my Marvel Universe project i.e. Spider-Man.  

An 'off duty' signage sits atop the taxi
Taxi windshield and windows were painted in shades of bluish-green
Orange lamp on the signage atop the taxi was painted using techniques I normally apply to a gem

More work was done on the yellows since the last update with shadows and highlights added to the mid-tone. Other than that, the metal portions of the taxi were painted with a few simple metallic grey colours and finished off with a black wash for added depth. The signage on top of the taxi's roof had the words 'OFF DUTY' painted in white while the orange lamp attached to it was painted using a technique usually reserved for jewels and gems. Orange fitted nicely into the overall colour scheme.

Angled top-front view of the New York City yellow taxi
Side-view mirror was painted in lighter shades
 
I was going for a comic book feel of the taxi and I think I achieved that at least. Even tougher tasks lie ahead with the actual figure of Spider-Man to paint but I am happy with the start I have gotten.

http://shireworks.blogspot.com/p/knight-models.html

14 comments:

  1. Perfect work on this taxi ! Compliments i love it !
    Cheers .

    ReplyDelete
  2. The windows ended up fantastic, really well done - can't wait to see Spidey himself :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spidey is going to be a tough one but should be fun to paint. :)

      Delete
  3. really great: the windows are wonderful!
    i'm waiting to see spidey on it!
    bye

    PS: good luck to your son!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks luca, for your compliment as well as good luck wishes to my son.

      Delete
  4. Nice one on the windows. Wet Blending?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks DWolve ... wet blending plus layering where appropriate. Transitions weren't that smooth but I left it as it is because I thought it would look more comic-booky (is that even a word?). ^_^

      Delete
  5. every time I like your works and every time there ae one or two details I love: in this case the car windows!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very kind Fed ... thank you ^_^ ... I am glad the teal colours worked out as I nearly went with the more boring black to grey to white colour scheme.

      Delete
  6. Nice work! Again! :) Very clean ... and I can relate with the limited time due to executing Daddy duties.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks spunkybass :)
      Daddy duties are always awesome and must be treasured as there will be little of that when they hit their teens and put friends higher on their priority list.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...