Friday 17 March 2017

Slaanesh Chaos Chosen [WIP - Claws & Colours]

I may be a year late but I've finally managed to incorporate the Pantone Color of the Year 2016 - namely Rose Quartz and Serenity - into a miniature painting project. Two years ago saw the start of my fascination with Pantone's annual Color of the Year announcements. It has become a treasured source of inspiration for my art projects especially miniature painting. Last year's was no different.  

Slaanesh Chaos Chosen: work-in-progress on claws and colour scheme

Admittedly though, not even I could have foreseen the miniature I would eventually use the hues on. Pantone officially describes the colours in question in the following way: Joined together, Rose Quartz and Serenity demonstrate an inherent balance between a warmer embracing rose tone and the cooler tranquil blue, reflecting connection and wellness as well as a soothing sense of order and peace. So I'm pretty sure they didn't envision them being used to depict a servant of chaos.   

Pantone Color of the Year 2016 - Rose Quartz & Serenity
Slaanesh Chosen's colours run the gamut from Rose Quartz to somewhere in between to Serenity

Another miniature, another first. Here, the Slaanesh Chosen's claws marked the first time I had ever used Vallejo Model Color metallic paints. In this instance, I used Vallejo Gunmetal Blue with Citadel Chainmail and Mithril Silver in varying ratios to achieve a kind of 'pastel metallic hues' for want of a better description. A thin wash of Citadel Asurmen Blue was also applied on parts of both claws. 

Sheen on the Slaanesh Chosen's claws were painted using Vallejo Model Color and Citadel metallic paints
Light blue bordering on violet was used to nudge the colour scheme towards Pantone's Color of the Year 2016

A couple of shots below provide a sneak peak of the Slaanesh Chosen's front end but it's not the finished article yet. Not much remains to be done, yet enough that a complete reveal is still days away. What little that can be seen, however, shows a variety of surfaces from metal to cloth to bone.  

An inadvertent sneak peak of the Slaanesh Chosen's front end during a closeup shot of the claws
Violet blues of the loincloth completes the range of Pantone's Color of the Year 2016

Awash in pastel hues, the existence of any creepiness factor whatsoever is debatable. That said, I'm hoping the dichotomy which exists between the sculpted details and the colour scheme would still instill a sense of unease in anyone who lays eyes on the Slaanesh Chaos Chosen. 

A closeup shot of the Slaanesh Chosen's back to show the piece's predominant colour scheme

All this talk about Pantone's Color of the Year has gotten me all excited about this year's iteration too. But that's a story for another day as I finish painting last year's hues on this W40K miniature.


http://shireworks.blogspot.com/https://www.facebook.com/shire.works

18 comments:

  1. I really really like where this is going. The colour palette is just excellent and with your fine brushwork it should be a stunner !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great work so far ! I'm looking forward to the finished model.
    Greetings

    ReplyDelete
  3. Coming along very nicely indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Impressive and wonderful claws...and job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sensational. You keep on raising the bar up!! You boldly go where no other painter has gone before!! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are way too kind Suber, thank you :) If I'm raising the bar at all it's probably a few millimeters at a time LoL XD

      Delete
  6. This does look rather awesome already!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The claws really stand out against the muted armor. Looks the business.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Replies
    1. Thank you Michal and welcome to my blog! I love your work too and am looking forward to your projects :)

      Delete
  9. Excellent work on these, love the tone on the armour. Interesting to hear about pantone, my wifes an artist and collects there mugs and stuff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Smillie. Great to have you visiting and commenting on my blog too. ^_^ As a wanna-be artist I only recently discovered Pantone and find myself being inspired by their take on colours. I'm sure your wife would be an excellent go-to source for your own miniature painting projects :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...