Monday 22 December 2014

Who lives in a pineapple under the sea?

SpongeBob SquarePants! Even when I was on a short holiday in Penang earlier this month, I couldn't entirely divest myself of all miniature hobby related activities. While taking refuge from the hot island sun in a local mall (Gurney Paragon Mall), the family and I visited the 'biggest' SpongeBob SquarePants event in Malaysia this year. Although all the activities were mainly meant for young children, my son and I still managed to get something out of the event that was age-appropriate. 

SpongeBob SquarePants and Patrick Star in miniature form
Back view of SpongeBob and Patrick in a 'best friends' pose
Each figurine set came with a SpongeBob SquarePants Activity Pass

Purchase of a SpongeBob and Patrick 'best friends' figurine (see above) or any other figurine on sale at the event entitled one to an Activity Pass. My son headed to the Mini Theatre to catch SpongeBob episodes on the big screen while I went to the Figurine World exhibition where I managed to take some photographs of a selection of miniatures on display. Below are some of my favourites.  

It's a SpongeBob SquarePants Figurine World at Penang's Gurney Paragon Mall
Marvel and DC has nothing on these superheroes
Houston, we have a problem
Happy belated Halloween anyone?
Love what you do, SpongeBob certainly does
Sheldon J. Plankton in his quest for Mr. Krabs's krabby patty formula
Money puts a big grin on Eugene H. Krabs
 One of the weirder figurines on display - SpongeBob in a Patrick suit next to Sandy
Wanna share?
A finger up his nose and outta his work clothes, is this your after-work routine too? 
My favourite of the lot ... SpongeBob gets ready for bed time

Coming back to the figurine that I got for my painting projects, it measured about 100-mm in height so it is a rather large miniature to paint. I believe the material the figurine is made out of is PVC but I can't say for sure. I hope to begin prep work on SpongeBob and Patrick soon beginning with the removal of a few minor mould lines. Then I will have to decide on what primer to use as I am not too sure if the Tamiya Fine Surface Primer (TFSP) will work on PVC. Well, if all else fails I guess I could use the Citadel Skull White acrylic paint 'primer'. But I think I will gamble on the TFSP first. If you have any experience with using TFSP on PVC, I would appreciate any help in the comments below.

'Best Friends' figurine stands at roughly 10 mm in height

Meanwhile, with the colour scheme for both SpongeBob and Patrick set in stone, all I need to decide on is if I will paint them in completely flat colours or apply some shading to the colours. Guess I will have to watch some SpongeBob Squarepants episodes for research. The things we do for the hobby we love. Until next time, as SpongeBob would likely say ... may you have the best day ever!

http://shireworks.blogspot.com/https://www.facebook.com/shire.works

14 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Yes ... yes he is. Absorbant, yellow and porous too!

      Delete
  2. I have to confess this is a phenomena that I have managed to avoid, but I wish you well with the new project. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha ... I never had a chance as I had to watch it with my son (he was only four or five then) to make sure it was suitable for his viewing.

      Delete
  3. Great model i love Bob !
    Happy Holidays Kuan
    Cheers .

    ReplyDelete
  4. a very unusual mini, let's see what you'll do with it!
    Spongebob is very popular in Italy too.
    bye

    ReplyDelete
  5. Isn't it nice you can find something mini-related everywhere? :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm ready!!!! To see them painted up :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha ha XD Singing along to the theme song is a rite of passage for every parent whose child watches the Cartoon Network.

      Delete
  7. As you say, the color-scheme is set. Still curious to see what you do with Messrs. Squarepants and Star.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully I can make them outshine even a Victoria Secret Angel. Now that came out of nowhere ... actually I was just watching a VA Fashion Show ... for the music you see and perhaps research into skin tones. Sigh, the things miniature painters have to suffer through.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...