Monday 1 September 2014

Ork Warboss [WIP - Non-metal parts]

Making surprisingly steady progress on my first W40K miniature project since the beginning of this year made me realise that I had forgotten how much fun it is to paint orks. They usually contain a good ratio of organic-to-metal parts as well as have many small details which make them a delight to work with. The Ork Warboss has all of the above characteristics in abundance so I'm a happy camper!

Ork Warboss (Assault on Black Reach), work-in-progress on the non-metal parts
Red topknot and cable covers won't look so bright once the rest of the Ork Warboss is painted up

Latest progress on the Assault on Black Reach Ork Warboss comprise work done on the non-metal parts of the miniature which include among others the topknot, cable covers, clothing, bone etc. He will be painted in colours of the Bad Moonz ork clan so there will be more yellow yet to come.

Yellow cloth is a sign of which ork clan this warboss belongs to
Back view of the Ork Warboss with its non-metal parts completed
Small details are wonderfully thought out e.g. teeth as a Warboss would be expected to flaunt his wealth

When I first started out on the hobby, this miniature looked very intimidating and I didn't have the skills to make a go of it. But now, I can at the very least make it look ... hopefully ... half-decent.

Ork Warboss's right arm with details painted in ... teeth on leather laces and 'wristband'
Weapons on both his hands will be painted last of all

For his loincloth, I copied a 'Eavy Metal design which was used in a painting guide. Freehand painting of the flame on the loincloth were based more on the colours of the Bad Moonz clan rather than actual flames i.e. bright light yellows versus dark yellows bordering on orange.

Closeup of the freehand painting of flames on a black loincloth
Photo reference of real flames against a black background

Meanwhile, I will be placing W40K miniatures in my collection that are for sale (second-hand but new-in-box) under the 'Shop' tab found near the top of my blog. In addition, there will also be a link to my blogshop which sells new non-W40K miniatures for painters and collectors in Malaysia. In the future, this section may include fully painted miniatures for sale. Who knows, maybe one day I might even consider doing painting commissions ... after all stranger things have happened.   

Shop Tab which links to miniatures for sale, either brand new, second-hand or fully painted figures

To access the shop section you can click on the said tab or just click the following link => http://foureyed-monster.blogspot.com/p/shop.html

http://shireworks.blogspot.com/https://www.facebook.com/shire.works

18 comments:

  1. Looks way better than "half-decent" :) flames look great on the black cloth, realistic ones wouldn't look orky I think ;) Now have fun with the metals! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Adam. Yeah, those realistic flames would look awesome on a car though. ^_^ Argghhh metals ... I used to love painting metal but for some reason I have come to loathe painting them. It could be that I am not good at painting metals as well as the fact that metallic paints are so messy and difficult to work with.

      Delete
  2. Splendid and most impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Coming along real nicely! It's quite rare to see Orks painted with such care. Nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just about everything I paint is done with too much care ... lol ... kind of like an OCD painter but not necessarily with good results. :)

      Delete
  4. Looking very good indeed. I'm not really a 40K devotee but must confess that this looks like a fun subject to paint.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love reading about W40K lore so that makes it easier to enjoy painting the GW minis ... more so the Orks with their many details.

      Delete
  5. Looks like a classic paint scheme :) Moar dirt and grime, MOAR!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You just highlighted my biggest weakness ... the inability to dirty up my miniatures ... lol. Maybe he just had a bath. After all, those shampoos made out of space marines' blood have a kind of 'Oil of Olay' effect on ork skin. ;)

      Delete
  6. Great great work there, seriously :O I'm loving how you manage yourself with colour. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seriously ... thanks Suber. ^_^ I love colours and am always careful in choosing them although in this case the credit lies with the superb 'Eavy Metal team.

      Delete
  7. He's already looking pretty badass. Great work so far.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Moiterei ... it has been fun working on Orks again.

      Delete
  8. Nice progress very good flesh tones to him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Simon ... it took a while but I think I am starting to get the hang of painting ork skin tones without it looking too cartoony ^_^

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...