Tuesday 4 August 2015

Colour Inspiration: Dota 2 Hero Characters

As an avid PC gamer for over 30 years now, it never ceases to amaze me how this hobby has grown to become a professional sporting event. (Unfortunately in comparison, miniature painting as a sport would be like watching paint dry ... literally.) So having The International Dota 2 Championships (TI5) shown live on satellite television means all art-related hobbies have come to a screeching halt. For the uninitiated, Dota 2 is a multiplayer online battle arena video game in a 3D environment. 


Although I don't play the game - an old man's reflexes coupled with a meh internet connection is largely to blame - I find the game incredibly fun to watch. Playing under Fnatic's banner, Team Malaysia was sadly eliminated on Day 1. Nonetheless, TI5 should still be a great event to watch.  


There is, however, something hobby related that I can take from the game (and also share with you). With over 100 playable heroes to choose from, there exists a range of character portraits with simple yet inspirational colours. Perusing quickly through the pictures should start giving you ideas of a simple colour scheme of your own. A complement of sorts to a colour wheel and other references.


Dragging myself away from the TV long enough to get some art done is going to take some doing. That being said, I'm determined to draw/paint something before the week is over. And in case you are wondering, first prize for TI5 is a whopping US$6.5 million. Not too shabby, not too shabby at all!

6 comments:

  1. Well, I didn't know of this, but I must say the art is truly wonderful. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're most welcome Suber. The colours used were very simple yet nice.

      Delete
  2. Sounds good. Like Suber I'd not heard of it. I used to game and fight in a clan etc years ago but having kids put that on hold as funds/time etc just wasn't there to buy/play the games anymore. Its partly why I started the hobby back up. I glad I gave it up I still do dabble at the golden oldies like Fallout and Baldur's Gate from time to time :D Enjoy the show

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhhh ... Baldur's Gate. That's was one of the few games I actually completed. It was good enough to hold my attention from start to finish. :)

      Delete
  3. Like the others, I've never heard of this. The colours look really good when laid out like that. US$6.5 million, WOW, if it wasn't for my old man's reflexes(my kids beat me big time on any computer game) and failing eyesight. I wouldn't have a chance! LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL ... I used to play online FPS rather regularly back in the day but now my reflexes are so bad that my online alter ego would have been killed way more times than it would kill. I now suffer the humiliation of what my son calls a feeder.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...