|House Baratheon heraldry [Renly version]|
As with my previous two heraldry freehand paintings, the process began with some large not-to-scale drawings to get a feel of what could or couldn't work. At the top of my to-do list was to find a simple way to depict the crown as well as antlers on the stag. Due to the scale of the Bretonnian knight, I settled for the simplest form I could the results of which you can see in the first two pictures below. The practice paintings are very rough in form and gives me an idea of what I need to do later in order to make the two stag designs stand out - at least in theory as I am still not sure if I can pull it off.
|Early not-to-scale drawings to decide what could be done|
|More precise-to-scale drawings and rough paintings on a 12-mm by 15-mm shield|
In preparation for the feehand painting of House Baratheon heraldry a la Renly's version, I painted the cloth on the warhorse in a slightly dark green look. As this was my first serious try at blending green acrylic colours (the ork skins I did previously were pathetic so they don't count), it resulted in a less than stellar result. What surprised me most was how chalky some of the greens were, an issue I was not expecting for the shades of green I was working with - from Orkhide Shade to Dark Angels Green to Snot Green to Scorpion Green and mixed colours in-between.
|Mixing some different shades of green on the wet palette|
|House Baratheon [Renly version] warhorse sans heraldy (left side view)|
|House Baratheon [Renly version] warhorse sans heraldy (right side view)|
So the next step will be the painting of Renly's heraldry, my toughest freehand challenge yet.